Saturday, January 14, 2012

3 Tips for Using Pinterest to its Fullest


I’m a fairly new Pinterest user and I have to say – I’m hooked. I simply love online shopping and I find that Pinterest offers me a way to tag and save things that I want to buy. Sure, it may not still be available by the time I’m ready to make that purchase, but at least I can remember the style and start a hunt to find it elsewhere.

Part of the fun with Pinterest is to see what other people think. I have board that is completely filled with clothing and accessories. If something I pin there gets a lot of repins, I know it’s a hot item and I’ll seriously consider adding it to my wardrobe. I find, it’s kind of like asking a bunch of friends for their opinion. They’re not always going to answer the way you want them to, and you might not even care what they say, but they’ll tell you one way or another.

I know I’m not the only one with Pinterest obsession. In a very short time, this site has emerged on the top 10 lists of social networks, which is amazing when you consider that it’s still technically an invite-only service. So, here are a few tips to help you get the most out of your pins.

1. Always tag an image with a descriptive phrase. Don’t just say “This is cool!.” Say, “This blue velvet clutch is cool!” Descriptive names help your tags show up in search results, which means more exposure.

2. Create themed boards. If you have enough time, create boards with very specific niches. For example, instead of creating a general “wedding ideas” boards, create different boards for each of your ideas. One might be a black and white wedding and other might be Asian themed. People are more likely to follow boards that cater to their very specific area of interest.

3. Follow other people’s boards. Remember, this is a social network. Be social. Follow people who like the same things as you and comment on the things you like. Getting to know people always helps boost your online reputation.

No comments:

Post a Comment